I sit too much. I commute to work 45 minutes in the morning and then 45 minutes again in the afternoon. My job at work is not 100 % office work, but I do sit at my computer to do necessary things. I sit in meetings. I come home and sit down for dinner. I put my feet up after dinner to help alleviate the swelling in my legs that happens from sitting, walking on hard floors in dress shoes, and water retention.
I try to exercise most mornings before work, but I don’t always think it is enough. I have heard studies say that sitting too long wrecks havoc on blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and can lower life expectancy. So, what’s a person to do?
Here are a few things I do that help decrease the amount of time I spend sitting at work:
- Stand up and stretch
- If the weather is nice, take a short stroll outside
- Eat somewhere other than your desk…requires you to get up and walk and allows for a break from work.
- Don’t sit longer than an hour. Get up. Take a trip to the bathroom or go grab a cup of coffee or tea.
- Prop your feet up on a stool or even a box.
- Stand…clean up around your desk.
- Park farther away so you get in a few extra steps.
- If stairs are an option, use them!
- Drink dandelion tea and green tea…helps against water retention from feet hanging down all day….and will require extra trips to the bathroom!
Be mindful of what your body is saying. If your back hurts, maybe you have been sitting too long in one position. Move….your body will thank you!
Just a few words of advise as we enter another week of work! Have a great week!