I hate making mistakes. Who doesn’t?
Mistakes, though, can be the catalyst for change, growth, and success in our lives.
Here are some great quotes on mistakes…
- Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein
- Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? L.M. Montgomery
- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. Mahatma Ghandhi
- We learn from failure, not success! Bram Stoker
- The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard
That last quote really resonates with me. I had a boss once tell me to stop second guessing myself and to make a decision and be okay with it. Why was I second guessing myself? The fear of making a mistake.
Being afraid to make a mistake can be so paralyzing for our potential growth.
As much as we all hate to make mistakes, if we change our perspective on mistakes, they can become amazing growth opportunities. Here are a few things I am learning about my own growth.
- Own your mistakes but don’t let them paralyze you.
- Talk through them with a trusted friend or mentor.
- Step back from the personal element of it and think how you might respond or handle it differently next time.
- Develop a plan to help you so you don’t make the same mistake again.
- Extend grace to yourself… success is progress, not perfection.
When you are blessed with the gift of a great leader, friend, mentor who sees your potential and desires to help you grow and succeed, accept the gift of their grace in your life.
The most important thing? Pray. Share your fears with God. Confess your shortcomings. Ask and seek His wisdom and guidance in your decision making and leadership.
His grace finds us wherever we are including in our mistakes.